HKU Presidential PhD Scholarship
On the Donor
In 2019, the University established a prestigious HKU Presidential PhD Scholarship (HKU-PS), with the objective of attracting top candidates from around the world to pursue full-time PhD studies at HKU.
Purpose and Scope
The HKU-PS shall be awarded to the brightest candidates applying for the full-time PhD programmes at the University.
The package shall comprise:
- 1. a cash award to support research and living expenses (HK$40,000 in Year 1; and HK$20,000 per year in the remaining normative study period);
- 2. waiver of composition fees for the whole normative study period;
- 3. monthly postgraduate scholarship (PGS) at the same level as HKPF;
- 4. annual conference and research-related travel allowance at the same level as HKPF; and
- 5. the same accommodation arrangement provided by the University to HKPF recipients.
As items 3 and 4 above overlap with the HKPF award provided by the Research Grants Council (RGC), HKU-PS recipients who are awarded HKPF concurrently shall receive items 3 and 4 from the RGC for their first three years of study, while other items in the HKU-PS package, plus items 3 and 4 for the fourth year of study (for 4-year PhD students), shall be provided by the University.
The number of awards to be made each year shall be determined by the Graduate School, subject to availability of funding from the University and quality of applicants.
The Scholarship may be held concurrently with other scholarships (including Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF)), but it cannot be concurrently held with the University Postgraduate Fellowship (UPF) which is also administered by the Graduate School.
The Scholarship may be retracted by the University if the recipient is found to have committed research misconduct within and/or outside the University.
|Awarded by External Body|
|Value of Award||Please refer to Purpose and Scope|
|Renewal Conditions||Subject to satisfactory study progress|
|Type of Scholarships||
Entrance Scholarships for New Students
|Place of Origin of Students||Not specified|
|Level of Study||Postgraduate|
|Year of Study||1|