Innovation and Technology Scholarship
On the Donor
In 2011, the Innovation and Technology Scholarship Award Scheme was established under a joint sponsorship and support by the Innovation and Technology Commission and The Hongkong and Shanghai Corporation Limited (HSBC) which is administered by The Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups (HKFYG) as the Scheme Secretariat.
Purpose and Scope
Innovation and Technology Scholarship Award Scheme usually opens for applications in October each year. It aims at recognizing outstanding non-final year local undergraduates whose curriculum are in science-related, technology, engineering, dental and medical disciplines, by providing a scholarship and a series of elite training opportunities, in order to widen their international exposure, gain industry experience, and nurture their passion and commitment toward science and technology.
Awardees will be supported to attach to one or more overseas/ Mainland universities/ institutions between 1 June 2022 and 31 July 2023. At least one of the awardee’s trips must be longer than three weeks and at least one trip should be arranged to the Mainland.
- Hong Kong Permanent Resident with the right of abode in Hong Kong;
- Non-final year, full-time undergraduate students undertaking University Grants Committee (UGC) funded undergraduate degree in a Science, Engineering, Medicine or Dentistry discipline;
- Preferably attaining Cumulative GPA of 3.3 (or equivalent) or above;
- Achieve a satisfactory result from any one of the English tests below:
TOEFL# (Internet-based test):
Minimum overall score of 90 with scores for individual sections not lower than 21 on reading, 22 on listening, 21 on speaking, and 17 on writing;
IELTS# (Academic Module):
Overall band score of 6.5 or above, with no component below 6.0;
HKDSE English Language Exam: Level 4 or above;
International Baccalaureate (IB) Exam:
Grade 6 or above on English B Standard Level;
Grade 5 or above on English B High Level;
Grade 5 or above on English A Language and Literature Standard Level;
Grade 5 or above on English A Language and Literature High Level
International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) Exam:
Grade C on IGCSE English as a Second Language 0511;
Grade D on IGCSE First Language English 0522.
These are irrespective of overseas universities' requirements. (# Test must have been taken on or since February 7, 2020);
- Having passion in innovation and technology, and intention of pursuing this as a career;
- Well-rounded, has participated in extra-curricular and/or community service activities;
- Able to display tremendous upside potential and benefit the most from the Scholarship;
- Able to demonstrate commitment to Hong Kong;
- Possessing good communication skills; and
- Has not previously received this Scholarship.
Details of the Scheme available here.
Interviews: late January 2022 (1st round); March 2022 (2nd round)
Announcement of results: early April 2022
Visit the following links to learn more about the Scheme and the recipients of the Innovation and Technology Scholarship Award:
|Awarded by External Body|
|Value of Award||Up to HK$150,000 for attachment programme(s) in Overseas/Mainland universities|
|Selection by||Open application|
|Type of Scholarships||
Enrichment Scholarships for Current Students
|Place of Origin of Students||Local|
|Level of Study||Undergraduate|
|Faculty||Dentistry, Engineering, Medicine, Science|
|Year of Study||Non-final year|