An HKU scholarship
- is an investment in people, a society's most valuable asset;
- helps Hong Kong attract and retain its most gifted students and provide them with enrichment opportunities; and
- frees deserving students with limited financial means to pursue their studies and expand their ambitions.
What types of scholarship programme can I support?
HKU offers different types of scholarship programmes, as highlighted below:
Entrance Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
- These are geared to attract local and non-local students pursuing full-time undergraduate degrees and are awarded on the basis of students' academic performances at prevailing public examinations for admission to HKU.
Faculty / Discipline-specific Scholarships / Prizes
- These recognise the achievement of students who have the best overall performance in a particular study major.
Student Enrichment Scholarships
- The undergraduate curriculum places a strong emphasis on building a student's interdisciplinary knowledge base, and advocates experiential learning in addition to classroom learning. These enrichment scholarships encourage students to take part in a wide range of learning activities mostly overseas, such as academic exchanges, study tours, internships, research fellowships, and service learning / volunteering.
- These enable the University to attract high-calibre students to pursue research postgraduate studies and to raise its research capabilities. These fellowships include awards for first-year research postgraduate students enrolled in regular PhD or joint PhD degree programmes; and for current PhD students to pursue MPhil degrees at partner institutions.
The University also provides bursaries and loans to help students with financial needs.
- These aim to free needy students from financial constraints during their studies at HKU. An example is the First-in-the-Family Education Fund which supports students who are the first generation in their families to attend university to participate in outside-classroom learning activities. Please refer to this link for more details of busary schemes.
A Scholarship / Prize / Bursary can be named in honour of the Donor (individual, group or organisation) or a loved one.
DONATE NOW! HKU's scholarships and other projects offer a range of giving options that can be tailored to your priorities and wishes. Contact us at email@example.com.